In this new podcast, Anita Holford, co-editor of Music Education Works, is talking with pioneering and award-winning jazz musicians, educators, and producers Janine Irons MBE and Gary Crosby OBE, who together run the music education and development charity Tomorrow’s Warriors.
We talk about:
- how they first met, and why they formed Tomorrow’s Warriors
- how they’ve been levelling the playing field for young black, female musicians as well as those from low-income backgrounds
- their informal pedagogy – learning by doing and facilitating and creating the conditions where they can ‘discover the magic of jazz’
- the link between Gary and John Stevens, jazz drummer and founder of Community Music London, one of the UK’s oldest youth and community music organisations
- the importance of creating a community of young musicians, and around the musicians and growing the organisation based on musicians’ needs
You can access the podcast via a blog on our main website –
or on iTunes or Spotify (search for Music for Education & Wellbeing).